We often hear motivational speakers mention the need for motivation to achieve any goal in life. Whether you need self-motivation to achieve your personal goal or team motivation to motivate your team to work in the right direction. For all this, the following questions arise in our mind:
- What is motivation?
- What is the relationship between motivation with psychology?
- How does motivation work?
- Why is motivation important?
- What is self-motivation and how to motivate yourself?
- How to motivate your team?
- What are the benefits of motivation?
- Are there downsides to motivation?
- How to overcome the loss of motivation?
These are all questions that you often search for on the Internet. But now you don’t need to ask a motivational speaker these questions because, in this article, I am going to answer all these questions so that you don’t need to listen to a motivational speaker for co-motivation anymore.
What is motivation?
Motivation is actually a psychological force that makes any individual agree to a particular behavior and action. It can be not only external or internal but can also be influenced by other elements such as wants and needs. Motivation is not necessarily positive. It can be both positive and negative, the results of which can be constructive as well as destructive. It is an important aspect of a person’s life that can play a significant role in any person’s work, relationship, or education.
What is the relationship between motivation with psychology?
Motivation is closely related to psychology because it is related to psychological needs, emotions, self-efficacy, goals, personality, behavior, and cognitive processes.
Psychological Needs: Motivation is driven by a person’s psychological needs such as achieving a goal or gaining power. These psychological needs are also based on a psychological theory.
Emotions: Motivation is also related to emotions. Because positive emotion increases the level of motivation while negative emotion leads to a decrease in the level of motivation. For example, if you are excited about completing your project, you will be more motivated to ensure it is completed on time, but stress and mental pressure can also cause your motivation to decrease.
Self-efficacy: Self-belief in one’s ability to complete a task can also play an important role in motivation. People who believe in their abilities appear more determined and motivated than those who do not believe in their abilities.
Goals: Motivation is also related to your goals. Such as attention, memory, and decision-making ability are related to the brain’s information processing. According to one theory, a person’s motivation is enhanced if his goals are self-selected and attainable.
Personality: Personality is also an aspect of motivation. As different people are motivated by different things. A person with a strong desire for achievement can complete any difficult task while a person with a strong desire for affiliation can be motivated by teamwork and social relationships.
Behavior: Motivation is also related to behaviors. Because people who are highly motivated will choose behaviors that are related to their goals and needs. Motivation is related to psychology as well as behavioral studies, which focus on behaviors that arise from the lure of reward and fear of punishment.
Cognitive Process: Understanding motivation and psychology can help us get to the root of the reasons that lead to a particular behavior.
Motivation is a complex and multifaceted process that is influenced by psychological factors. By understanding these psychological factors, managers, directors, and therapists can help others achieve their goals.
Why is motivation important?
Motivation is important because it prompts a person to take action that will help him achieve his goal. It provides the energy and necessary means to overcome obstacles and fight difficulties. Without motivation, people will never take the actions that lead to success. In addition, motivation also leads to improved performance.
How does motivation work?
Motivation activates psychological factors that lead to specific behavior. This complex process depends on the following elements:
- The need
- The aim / Objective / Goal
- Passion / Emotion
- Privileges / Incentives
After understanding which person can be motivated by which factor, a better plan can be formulated. As mentioned earlier, motivation can be influenced by both extrinsic and intrinsic factors. The above elements of motivation may change over time for each person.
What is Self-Motivation and How to Motivate Yourself?
Self-motivation refers to the force that drives you to take action that will help you achieve your goals. It is an ability that allows you to continue your necessary action without the temptation or expectation of a reward.
There are many ways to motivate yourself, some of which are as follows:
- Set your clear and achievable goals
- Make achieving your goals easier by breaking them down into chunks and trying to achieve them in an alternating step-by-step sequence.
- Talk to yourself positively to achieve the goal, such as I can do it, I will do it
- Find people who inspire you and spend as much time as possible around them to build confidence in yourself to achieve your goals.
- Reward yourself for the step-by-step achievement of your goals.
Motivation is certainly a psychological construct, but self-motivation is a skill that improves with continued practice.
How to motivate your team or group?
Motivating your team or group can also be done in many ways, including many psychological techniques.
- First, the team should have a clear objective to be achieved which must be realistic and achievable.
- Make each individual member of the team feel valued and help them if they need the necessary training
- Empower all your team members to make decisions about their work so that they take responsibility for their work and see themselves as key members in achieving the goal.
- Create a positive and supportive work culture.
- Direct and transparent communication is always effective as it will not only instill confidence in the team but also engage them in further work.
As I mentioned earlier, different people are motivated in different ways because each person’s personality, feelings, wants, and needs are different from another person’s. Therefore, as a leader, you have to figure out by yourself which psychological composition you can motivate which member.
Are there negative effects of stimulation?
While motivation has numerous benefits, it also has some negative effects which are as follows:
- When someone is motivated to work very hard and work for long hours, he becomes depressed due to fatigue.
- Too much stress can damage physical and mental health.
- If unrealistic goals are set, expectations of success are created. But when the goal is not fulfilled, there is a disappointment.
- When a high standard is set and there is a lot of pressure to work to achieve it, most people cannot stay engaged and become demotivated.
- People who are highly motivated towards work often do not give time to other matters of life like family etc.
- How to eliminate these negative effects of motivation?
- Encourage your team to take vacations, take breaks, and balance their personal and work lives. Give time to your family as well as your physical and mental health.
- The goals you set should be challenging but achievable so that your team doesn’t get frustrated.
- Help your team by providing them with the necessary resources and proper support so that they don’t suffer from stress during work.
- Effective Communication: Communicate effectively with the team, listen to their problems and provide timely support and guidance.